Sunday, August 9, 2009

Chocolate Milkshakes for Everyone!


The weather is changing here in Grand Teton National Park. We watched it snow out on the mountains for the first time in a month or two yesterday. The temperature has been dropping down to the thirties at night lately. Not only is the weather changing but it is unpredictable. Wednesday I finished work and headed to my room as a storm rolled plowed over the mountains. The air was humid and heavy as I crawled into my basement cave of a room and listened to the rain pattering outside. The rain drops landing on the ground was refreshing to hear after being used to an arid climate. Unfortunately, the sound of rain on mud soon changed to the sound of rain on water. It turned into a heavy downpour and the water started pouring into my storm cell window. I watched as the water rose. I shut my window just as the water reached the bottom of my window. Sadly, that did not help. The water kept rising until it was two inches above my window. I quickly noticed that my window is not sealed or any sort of water resistant. The brown water left the storm cell and creeped onto my windowsill. On the water sat a foamy substance that made the liquid look like a milkshake. Miniature rivers began their vertical descent down the side of my wall onto the heater. I watched in disbelief as the brown rivers stained my wall with their incessant meandering. To be honest, I wasn't even mad; the idea of flooding seemed like a novelty to me. I spent at least 18 years of my life living in a marsh and never had to deal with flooding. Here I am, and after thirty minutes of raining, my room is beginning to flood. Luckily, the rain started to hold off after my room began flooding. I called the front desk and maintenance came to my room. We filled a shop vac with enough water to bathe in. The inside of the shop vac was filled with frosty milkshake water. I should have thrown a party. Chocolate milkshakes for everyone!

The next day I was told that I was getting a new roommate. Not everyone knew my room had flooded so as soon as the Residence Director found out, he decided to relocate my roommate to another room. I don't blame him because my room was a festering forest of mold and mildew, not to mention it smelled like a wet sock. Now, because of the flooding, I am alone and must call the wet sock my home for now. Oh well, I will be going up to Glacier National Park for the next week. Hopefully, the nastiness will have evaporated by the time I return. If not, lapping up some milkshake from the carpet will definitely cheer me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment