Tuesday, September 1, 2009

A Final Chapter

While looking out at the stars this past weekend, I felt the cool air of an early evening shift into near freezing temperatures by four AM. Gone are the warm nights of summer as fall quickly approaches.



Sunday was the last day where we had to prepare worship services for ACMNP. Together, Katelyn, Kayla, and I had a final worship here at Signal Mountain. We invited fellow employees and friends to listen to us speak about our experience this summer and what we have taken away from it. After the services we had our final staff meeting, we packed up the worship materials, and said some more goodbyes. Kayla and I shared one last night with Katelyn before she left for seminary Monday morning.

Heading back to work on Monday afternoon, I limped into a quiet and half-empty building; I realized business is starting to slow down. Following work, the remaining ACMNP staff met up with Spencer (the Executive Director of ACMNP) and chatted about this summer, plans for our future, and ways to improve ACMNP for next year. We shared some dessert and I chewed on a biodegradable spoon.

Coming back from the the chat, I began writing my final report of the ministry. Using the conversation with Spencer as a precursor I was able to describe key components of my experience until I realized it has been an amazing summer thus far. I have even contemplated seminary.

Upon finishing the final report this morning I have completed my commitment with A Christian Ministry in the National Parks. I utilized the rest of my morning sending a few emails and making a phone call about winter work. So far it is looking like I will be heading to a ski resort instead of engaging in hibernation. However, the more I think about my knee, the more I think I should look elsewhere for work.

Finalizing details for my transportation home has been the icing on the cake. I had previously thought of extending my work contract to Oct 22 but I think I am going to stick with my original final date: September 20. This gives me less than three weeks here in Grand Teton National Park. I hope to get my knee back in working order for at least one last hike.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Lee, this chapter of your life may come to a close... but I have a feeling that something new is just below the horizon. I'll defiantly be keeping you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete